Saturday, December 3, 2011

Cheesy Chicken Dorito Casserole

I'm not going to sugar coat it lovelies- this is nothing more that fabulously unhealthy delish trash food. The kind that offers calories, fat, and cheese- otherwise known as the kind of food we all need after a horrible, no-good, very bad, cold day.



I found this recipe on Pinterest, and stuck it in the back of my mind for one of those days when I just didn't give a hoo about what I ate. Well, Thursday when I woke up to a cold and rainy day where I got caught half way between my car and the door at work (a trek and a half my loves, no lie, like a 3 minute walk) in a downpour with no umbrella I decided it was a good day to try something new.

This recipe came from the blog Jam Hands- which is chocked full of fancy dishes that make me drool.  I adapted it a little to suit my taste,  

Mexican Dorito Casserole
Serves 4-6

2 c. shredded cooked chicken (I poached it in chicken stock with garlic-mmm)
1 c. shredded cheese (I used more, about 1 1/2 cups, it was one of THOSE days)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes (canned tomatoes with jalepenos- I used the original for a bit of heat, but you could do mild)
1/2 packet taco seasoning (or more- to taste)
Bag of  Nacho Cheese Doritos

1. Pre-heat oven to 350-f degrees.

2. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except Doritos.

3. In a greased 2 qt baking dish, put a layer of crushed Doritos (about 2 cups), then a layer of the chicken mixture. Repeat once more, ending with a layer of chicken mixture. Top with more shredded cheese, cover, and bake for 30-35 minutes, till bubbling hot.


The chips stay crunchy, and some get soft- its a perfect combination. For leftovers, just add some fresh crushed chips to get that crunch and its sheer perfection. I took this for lunch on Friday and ended up sharing with everyone in the teachers lounge :)

The hubs is also obsessed, and insists it tastes just like the nachos you get at stadiums. I don't know if I agree with that, but it sure is tasty!


7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, this is a recipe with doritos? SIGN ME UP! Immediately. There's no other junk food I love better in the entire WORLD, and this looks amazing! Thanks for sharing girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bookmarked this - will be easy to make gluten free. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bethany,

    Did you know this was a very famous Texas recipe? Yours is a version of the dish I used to make all the time during my 21 years in Houston. It's called King Ranch Casserole....very yummy! Perfect comfort food indeed.

    Janet xox
    http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great dish a potluck I am doing this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to thank you for linking up to It's A Rockin' Party at RoCa and Company last week. Your Dorito Casserole was one of my favorites and will be featured tomorrow. Please make sure to stop by and grab our feature button. Would love to have you back this coming Friday…

    Carmen @ RoCa and Company
    www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bethany, this recipe is just in time for my kids (men) visiting and you know how much they love food like this. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made this tonight! It was awesome. I bought spicy everything and it turned out very well.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to stop by! I LOVE your comments, so please keep them coming! I promise I do read each and every one :)