Monday, November 7, 2011

Name Art and A Cheater Trick

Yesterday I had a kick ass Mommy day. I baked cookies (from SCRATCH, which is a HUGGE deal in this house), I did laundry, I cleaned out/organized the buffet in the pantry, I made lunch and dinner, and I snuck in a craft project.  All while my hubs was outside getting some work done around the yard to get ready for winter, meaning I had the baby.


Where the motivation came from I do not know, but I'm not going to fight it.

The craft project I tackled was one I have been meaning to do for awhile now, the wooden letters I bought to spell out Grayson's name above his crib.  Right now his crib is right in front of the mantle, and above that is a 5 foot by 5 foot blank yellow wall- of concrete. So its nearly impossible to hang anything there, because you have to literally drill into solid rock.  But oh, lovelies, I am a determined Mommy.

Enter super industrial strength Velcro.

I bought some of this stuff:


You just stick it to the back of the object and the wall and it will hang there perfectly.

Now, onto the letters. I bought the 5 inch wooden letters from JoAnn's (with coupons of course!), a pack of foam brushes and paint that coordinated with the bedding.


I started by painting all of the letters with a few coats of foliage green paint.  Then I realized I can paint two things, dots and stripes.  The dots were easy, they were just the end of different paint brushes.  The stripes were even easier- because I have a cheater trick, scotch tape.

After the letter is painted, break out the scotch tape and cover the letter, leaving open spaces in between. Make sure that they appear even, and rub over the tape edges really well so that no paint leaks under and then just paint away.  You can vary the width, or use something like a popcicle stick as a guide to keep them uniform. Once dry, peel off the tape and you have perfect stripes!

Here's the finished product:



Now- we just have to get them stuck to the wall and we'll be set!


7 comments:

  1. Those turned out so cute! Great job, I hope you'll post a picture of them hanging when you get to it. Velcro is such a good idea for walls you can't drill into, I wouldn't have thought of that.

    New follower from Super Stalker Sunday hop. Hope you'll come by and visit!

    Stephanie at www.4Eighteen.com

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!! Stopping by and now following from the Super Stalker Sunday Hop! Thanks so much for linking up with us!

    Have a great week and hope you can join us again next Sunday!!

    Kortney @ Kortney's Krazy Life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. stopping by from the super stalker sunday hop. Super cute project. My youngest still has his brothers wood letters in his room...I'm a slacker.
    www.madebymunchiesmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are adorable!! I love the green tones! Great job! I'm also stopping by from the Super Stalker Sunday blog hop and am your newest follower! :) Have a great weekend! :)

    http://www.shapedbygracelife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! New follower from Super Stalker Sunday Hop

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to stop by! I LOVE your comments, so please keep them coming! I promise I do read each and every one :)